Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Anti Anti-Valentine's Argument

It's Valentine's Day. I don't have a date.
I am not, I repeat, I am NOT complaining.

The ubiquity of social media is a double edged sword. Facebook can tell me what all of my friends are thinking. This can be cool, as I've got friends back home that I don't get to see so often. Facebook really helps with that, thanks Zuck.

But sometimes, you read the worst kind of status updates: privileged people complaining. And no day is worse than Valentine's day.

I am complaining about complaining.

Word is bond, peace to all my friends in relationships today. I mean, that is the idea, to be with someone, and I'm happy for you...even if you spam my Facebook with how much fun you and your SO are having.


But I have so much beef for people who complain on Valetine's Day.
You know the type.

Oh, happy single awareness day. Those fucks are on tumblr who are complaining how they shouldn't be ostracized because they don't have a realtionship.

Why are you complaining?
First off, if you actually worked at being in a relationship all year, you wouldn't be single today. My advice is if you hate "single awareness day", be aware of this feeling on more days than just today and you might fix it.

But somehow, we have declared Valentine's Day the one holiday it's alright to complain about not celebrating.

Do Jewish people complain about not having Christmas?
Do French people complain about a lack of 4th of July?

 Let me put this in perspective for you.

My Aunt died in 2004. She left behind a husband and four sons.
I have never seen any of them get on Facebook on mother's day and complain about how it's unfair that they don't have a mom.

You know what, it IS unfair. The youngest son was 3 when his mom died. They have every right to complain that your bragging about having a mom makes them feel bad.

And they don't.
When people complain about not having a date for Valentine's Day, I think of all the people who don't have mom's for mother's day, or dad's for father's day. Those people never post pictures of Grumpy Cat.
There are worse things to be without than a date on Valentines.

Me, while I am single, I'm using this day to remember the other holidays I can celebrate.
I have a father and a step father for father's day. And they both love fathers day, because I actually get them ties they like.
I have presents for Christmas.
I have traditions for Christmas Eve.
I have food on Thanksgiving.
Hell, I have such a tight knit group of friends back home that we made our own holiday; I have friends on Jewsgiving.
I have a mom on mothers day.
And I have a mom who sends me and my roommates a heart shaped box of cookies on Valentine's Day, which we eat almost immediately. They were REALLY good cookies.

Happy Valentine's Day. Happy Mother's Day. Be Happy. Everyday.


2 comments: